Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patty's Day!

I spent my St. Patrick's Day lounging around and I loved it! I didn't go out nor am I planning on it. (I did wear a green Packers shirt though.)

I spent over half the day on the couch, watching HGTV for hours, and sleeping on and off. But then, I realized it was super nice outside and I couldn't waste the day just sitting inside. So, Mitchell and I went for a walk for a while.

Then, I made these:

Chocolate Cupcakes with Bailey's Chocolate Ganache filling and Bailey's Buttercream Frosting

These are amazing! I've been seeing recipes for Irish Car Bomb cupcakes, but I'm not a fan of beer. And I wasn't sure how I would like beer in cupcakes. So, I decided to make my own version. I started with seriously the best chocolate cupcake I think I've ever had. Then I added a chocolate ganache filling and buttercream frosting both spiked with Mint Chocolate Baileys.



Chocolate Ganache. Sounds scary. Honestly, I really had no idea what it was or how to make it, but after making this according to the recipe - it's not that hard at all. You should try it.


Look at that beauty!


Chocolate Cupcakes with Bailey's Chocolate Ganache filling and Bailey's Buttercream Frosting
Cupcake Recipe from Cupcakes Take the Cake

Cupcake Ingredients:
½ stick Butter, room temperature
½ c. + 2T. Sugar
1 Egg, room temperature
3/8 (or ¼ +2 T.) C. Flour
½ t. Baking Powder
1/8 t. Salt
1/4 C. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
* You always hear people say this, but truly, using the best cocoa powder you can afford makes a world of difference...
1/4 C. Whole Milk
1/2 t. Vanilla

Yield: 6-7 cupcakes

Method: Preheat oven to 375 degrees, then turn it down to 350 just prior to baking

1. Beat the butter with an electric mixer until it is soft, then add sugar. Beat about 3 minutes.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time beating until they are well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk them to incorporate them.
4. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar and beat it just to combine. Add 1/2 of the liquids (milk & vanilla), scrape down bowl and beat to combine. Continue adding the dry and wet ingredients alternately making sure you END WITH THE DRY.
5. Fill muffin tins 2/3's of the way and bake for about 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool, then frost.

For the Bailey’s ganache filling:
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 T. + 2 t. cup heavy cream
1/2 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
1 ½ tsp. Bailey’s Mint Chocolate Irish cream

To make the ganache filling, place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl.  Heat the cream in a small saucepan until simmering, then pour it over the chocolate.  Let sit for one minute and then whisk until smooth.  If the chocolate is not completely melted, place the bowl over a double boiler or give it a very short burst in the microwave (15-20 seconds).  Add the butter and Bailey’s and stir until combined.

Set aside to let the ganache cool until it is thick enough to be piped.  (You can use the refrigerator to speed the cooling process, but be sure to stir every 10 minutes or so to ensure even cooling.)  Meanwhile, cut out a portion from the center of the cupcake using the cone method (a small paring knife works best for this).  Once the ganache has reached the correct consistency, transfer it to a piping bag fitted with a wide tip and pipe it into the cupcakes.


For the Bailey’s buttercream frosting:
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 ½ tbsp. Bailey’s Mint Chocolate Irish cream

To make the frosting, place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.  Gradually add the powdered sugar until it is all incorporated.  Mix in the Bailey’s until smooth.  Add more if necessary until the frosting has reached a good consistency for piping or spreading.  Frost the cupcakes as desired.

*Ganache/Frosting recipes adapted from Annie's Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment