Friday, January 20, 2012

From Country to Hip Hop

My all time favorite concert was when I was maybe 7 or 8. Kenny Chesney came to the Rock County 4-H Fair. He sang "She thinks my Tractor's Sexy" and I pretty much fell in love. Since then I've owned almost all of his CDs, and know almost all the words to all the songs on them. I've always wanted to go to another one of his concerts. He came to Summerfest in Milwaukee 2 years ago, but I couldn't find anyone to go with me. 

I really haven't been to many concerts other than that. I went to a few Christian concerts when I was in High School. I remember one in particular was one of my favorite artists, Peder Eide. It was his Christmas concert and he asked for a volunteer to come on stage and help him sing a song. Well, my friends thought it would be a great idea to get me on stage to sing with him. Let's make this clear right away.. I'm not a good singer. Not at all. And at that point, to make it even worse, I was unable to get my voice high in a reasonable girl's singing range so I sang basically a tenor part. I sounded like a creepy man. So what happens next? I'm sure you already know. Yup, I'm up on stage with him. Star struck. Scared out of my mind. And thinking what are these people going to do when I start singing? 

There were about 200 people at this concert, it was in a small auditorium at a nearby church. So not too much of an audience, but still not comforting. I'm the girl who took speech class online because I hate hate hate speaking in front of people. (I know what your thinking.. You can take speech online? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Yes and Yes.) Well I start singing Walking in a Winter Wonderland and Peder himself starts laughing. Yup. Total Humiliation. Thanks friends! Don't worry though, it gets better. Peder told me I could pick another friend to come up on stage and help out with some actions. So I picked my friend James who would just totally hate every part of this. Payback. So the two of us made complete fools out of ourselves and it's a great story I have to tell for the rest of my life!

Other than those two, I don't have any other exciting concert stories. I've been to Pantherfest (campus kick off at my university) twice once I saw Lupe Fiasco and the second time it was Shiny Toy Guns followed by Kid Cudi. I saw Pitbull at Summerfest and OAR the same year. And last year at Summerfest I only went for a couple hours with my roommate and I saw a band that I can't quite recall the name of... It was her idea. Something about airplanes maybe? Anyway they were really good! Different, but good nonetheless. 

On another note, I went to Metro Market in Milwaukee today. It was the first time I had actually been through the whole store. I had ran in to get something real quick a couple times, but I never fully experienced all it has to offer until today! If you have never been and live in the area, you need to go! It's owned by Pick N Save, but it has a HUGE deli/meats/salad bar/sushi bar/coffee shop/juice bar/bakery/anything you could ever want PLUS free samples you can get full from! The reason for going there was to try to find blood oranges which have been a huge thing for me lately!

I have been loving the Blood Orange Soda from World Market. And lately I've been seeing a TON of recipes with blood oranges on Pinterest. So, obviously, I needed some. So I went there and found them (success!) and a few other things. (If you want an easy drink recipe - I juiced one orange and mixed with some Reisling.. Perfection!) Spinach Feta Focaccia and Apple Smoked Cheddar Cheese, both of which are A-Mazing! And I got some wine that was on sale with a coupon attached, win!

I was in Foodie heaven! In fact, I'm going to enjoy a delicious snack right now.. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment