Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My first recipe post!

The title gives it all away...well, not all. What recipe is it you ask? Hot Cocoa Brownies! I was really in the mood for brownies one night and I normally always used a box mix (I know! But, it's so easy!). I didn't have a box mix at home though, so I looked up a recipe online. I found one that had everything I already had at home...or so I thought! 


When I was gathering the ingredients, I realized I didn't have cocoa powder! How could I make brownies without cocoa powder?! Now here is where I would normally run to the store and just pick some up, but if I was in the mood to run to the store I would have already been home with a box mix in my hand. So time to consider my options.


1. I could skip the brownies (ya right!) or 2. I could improvise. Improvise it is! I looked online to see what I could use instead and I started thinking, what about hot cocoa mix? It's basically the same thing, right? Someone said online that I could substitute hot cocoa mix for cocoa powder, but I needed to reduce the sugar because there was already a lot of added sugar in the mix.


Well, I tried it and it must be good because I'm sharing it with you! Let me tell you, they were the best brownies I ever had! So ooey and gooey and delicious. And putting chocolate chips in makes them so much richer and just amazing! Please try it! You won't regret it. ;)






Homemade Hot Cocoa Brownies


1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup hot cocoa powder
3 eggs
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


Mix together sugar, flour, salt (if using unsalted butter), eggs, butter, and hot chocolate powder. Combine by hand. Stir in Chocolate chips. Pour into greased 9x13 pan.


Bake at 325 degrees for 20-30 minutes.


It's that easy! Seriously, I'm not using a box mix anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment